Aqueduct Race Track in New York
The Aqueduct Racetrack is the only racetrack that is located within the New York City limits. In operation since 1894, the track was built for thoroughbred flat racing. It was first remodeled and renovated in 1941 when a new clubhouse and track office was built. In 1959 a new track was built to replace the old one and in 1975, an inner track was built for winter racing. Today this fully developed center for thoroughbred racing has a seating capacity of 17,000 and is capable of catering for 40,000 people.
Aqueduct’s main course is a 1 1/8 mile track. This, together with a 1 mile inner dirt course and a 7/8 mile turf course sees to all the needs of those who race here. There is enough parking to cater to 8,000 cars and the handicapped parking is located near the clubhouse and grandstand for convenience. For those daunted by the thought of parking in the furthermost parking, there is a courtesy shuttle bus service available in the public parking areas. Admission fees to the Grandstand, clubhouse and skyline club are low and are even free to children under 12 years of age. Other services that can be enjoyed include binocular rentals, race replay centers, ATM machines, coat checks, first aid, handicapping stations and a lost and found center.
The Aqueduct Racetrack, also known as ‘the Big A’, is situated in Queens, New York City. It seldom hosts any very important races today due to unfavourable weather conditions, but it did host the Jockey Club Gold Cup between 1958 and 1974 and the Breeders' Cup in 1985. A large flea market, run from the racetrack’s north parking lot, draws additional crowds every weekend. There are also plans to build a casino on the grounds which will draw even more spectators to the facility.